Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: ncurses GUI for nmap

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 02:28:51 -0700

On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 05:16:38PM -0400, Opal Esperanza wrote:
Would anyone be interested in having an ncurses GUI (command-line
interface, think kismet, ettercap, midnight commander...) developed
for nmap? Perhaps more importantly, would anyone be violently opposed
to it? :) Naturally it wouldn't run too well on Windows, but many
Linux-and-such fans treasure being able to avoid the overhead of a
real GUI whenever possible :)

It is an interesting idea, and I'm glad you're brainstorming ideas
rather than just selecting one of the listed projects.  But I'll have
to admit that I'm skeptical about whether Nmap lends itself to an
ncurses interface as well as kismet/ettercap/midnight commander which
are more reactive in nature and don't as often involve waiting 20
minutes for results.

Maybe it would be better to simply add more enhanced terminal features
to the base Nmap.  For example, you could add --color to give
color-coded results.  Or maybe a progress bar like scp shows when you
transfer a long file.  These won't take all summer to write, but you
could apply as a "feature creeper" with these as proposed
mini-projects.

Or you can apply for the full-on ncurses interface.  But you'd need a
pretty compelling application (explaining how it would work) to
persuade me that it will be useful enough to sponsor.

Or you can keep brainstorming for something else :).  In any case, I
hope you apply!

Cheers,
Fyodor