Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Google SoC Ideas - Feature Creep?

From: kx <kxmail () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 21:32:07 -0400

All of the whois servers I listed are well-respected sources.

More info on the cymru service is here:

http://www.cymru.com/BGP/asnlookup.html

That page also lists their preferred method for bulk lookups.

Cheers,
  kx

On 5/22/06, Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org> wrote:
On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 12:56:41AM -0400, kx wrote:
Just some ideas, not sure what the user base thinks.

AS lookup modeled on the rDNS architecture - asynchronous, parallel,
with caching.  Option to hit whois databases like whois.cymru.com,
whois.radb.net , riswhois.ripe.net, etc... for ASN to IP mapping.
Might consider registration and geo data as well.

That is a good idea.  And I can see how the AS number might be useful
for the Nmap diagram project.  Perhaps there could be circles
containing all of the hosts in a single AS to represent organization
boundaries.  I will add this to the list of possible tasks.  Does
anyone have suggestions as to the best way to obtain this data?

Also, you could probably do this with a simple Nmap Scripting Engine
script.  If such an infrastructure existed yet :).  See my next email.

Cheers,
-F