Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Google SoC Ideas - Feature Creep?

From: kx <kxmail () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 19:37:17 -0400

Doug,
  You are right on. Lots of options here, and cymru dns might be an
option for the interim (I would suggest any additional lookups to
nmap's core functionality be opt-in - just my opinion).
  I suggested whois because it is standard across the big 3 ASN/IP
correlators (radb, ripe, cymru), and I could see giving nmap users the
choice of performing lookups across 0,1,2 or all 3 of them.
  I can also see people wanting to use local databases for similar IP
correlation info, such as geolocation as you noted, if they have a
local instance of GeoIP or Quova.
  Querying public Looking Glass servers for BGP data definitely has
huge potential.

All of this has potential for being core nmap functionality, or being
implemented via nmap scripts (could we call it nscripts instead of
NASL plugins - heh).

Out of curiosity, had you put together a beta patch for using cymru
and the rDNS architecture? If not, I might give it a try just to see
how it might work.

Great ideas!

Cheers,
  kx