Nmap Development mailing list archives

Changes Over Time

From: "Joshua D. Abraham" <jabra () ccs neu edu>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 22:05:47 -0400

I have been working on PBNJ 2.0 for a release this August.
PBNJ 2.0 is the second version of a program that I have written
in Perl to track changes that occur and store them. Version 2
will store the changes in a database. The default database is
SQLite it also has support for mysql and postgres.

Anyways, I have ran into an interesting bug and I was wondering
if anyone could give me thoughts on it. I have it performing an
nmap scan or parsing the XML file. It stores the changes in state
or version.

So if I scan a machine that is running services than I close all
the ports, the OS detection will identify it as a different
machine and thus not be able to set all the services in the
database to state down as it should. The issue is being able to
know that the machine is the same machine.

--
Joshua D. Abraham
Northeastern University