Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap 4.20ALPHA1 - New OS Detection System!

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 19:59:28 -0700

Hello everyone,

It is time to start off the big Nmap Summer '06 development cycle!
I'm starting things off by integrating the 5,000-line 2nd generation
OS detection patch!  While that new system is the immediate focus,
I'll also be integrating other patches from SoC participants and
elsewhere in the near future.  This starts with 4.20ALPHA1, which you
can find here:

http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.20ALPHA1.tar.bz2
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.20ALPHA1.tgz
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.20ALPHA1-1.src.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.20ALPHA1-1.i386.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-frontend-4.20ALPHA1-1.i386.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.20ALPHA1-1.x86_64.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-frontend-4.20ALPHA1-1.x86_64.rpm

Note that there is no Win32 version at this time.  I haven't tested on
that platform, but hope to have it working for the next release.

This release hasn't been tested all that much, so its not for sissies!
But for the more adventurous types, please give it a try and post your
experiences and suggestions.  Note that the new OS detection system
only has 2 signatures right now, since we have made so many changes
and had to throw out some of the previous sigs.  But the system falls
back to the old OS detection system if it fails to find a match.  You
can also explicitly use (just) the old system with -O1.

Enjoy,
Fyodor