Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Google SoC ideas

From: magnus () linuxtag org (Nils Magnus)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 01:39:52 +0200

Re,

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 10:41:23PM +0100, Arthur Amarra wrote:

Another of my ideas is to incorporate a "traceroute" function to Nmap,
so a user will have the option of displaying the route taken before
scanning a host/hosts.

I second the general idea as this is something I really miss when trying
to figure out network plans while scanning a network.

I am not sure which is a good way to implement that. Simply tracerouting
all targets might possibly bloat the highly complex output ofnmap even
further and might make it even more difficult to use.

Basically all routes to a subnet will be the same. Repeating each and
every route for every IP is very redundant. However, if paths differ,
new subnets may have been discovered or something else strange happened.
This is some feature I'd like nmap to point out.

As a start, displaying the value of the TTL field for returning probes
would be nice.

Regards,

Nils Magnus
Program-Chair LinuxTag 2006 Free Conference Program

LinuxTag 2006: Where .com meets .org - magnus () linuxtag org