Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Patch] Traceroute, Windows localhost scan fix

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 14:47:18 -0700

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 09:24:30PM +0100, Eddie Bell wrote:
Hey all,

Traceroute did not check to see if it was scanning local-host, so
pcap_open_live failed. This patch changes traceroute to ignore
local-host and print a warning message.

Hi Eddie.  I just applied your "verbose distance fix" to SVN.  But
regarding localhost traceroute, we may not need platform-specific
code.  There is probably no reason to send any packets when we know
that the host is localhost.  We should probably just treat it as 0
hops away and make sure the output can deal with that in a reasonable
way.  What do you think?

Cheers,
-F