Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Time to lose gen1 OS detection?

From: "Justin Knox" <knox.justin () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 12:08:27 -0400

Ok...so my cold medication is doing weird stuff...meant to hit Reply To All
:) ...see below...

Gen1 might be old, but I'd argue that it is tried and true. Some have
already pointed out that it would be a bit of a pain to use multiple
releases of nmap to get accurate results. I am in that camp. I think that to
remove Gen1 detection without corresponding fingerprints in the Gen2
database would be a hasty act. Benefits in the here and now are that we can
see what we have versus what we need. +1 to the "community request" for a
focused effort for specific fingerprint submissions.

As far as "nostalgic" scans go: larger networks don't necessarily keep with
the times due to the burden of change control, what might seem like an "old"
finger print -- even one that is several years old -- might be a perfectly
valid system...

ok, so that's more than $0.02....
--Justin