Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Summer of Code Script Ideas

From: Brandon Enright <bmenrigh () ucsd edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 00:22:00 +0000

Hi Nelson,

I think this post gets down to an underlying need for solid math and
cryptographic routines in order to interact with many network protocols.

I do most of my network work in perl and I regularly find myself doing
at least one of:

use Crypt::OpenSSL::Bignum;
use Digest::MD5 qw(md5);
use Digest::HMAC qw(hmac);
use Crypt::Random qw(makerandom);
use String::CRC;

Now I don't know if lacking these routines is really holding up any
script writing, but at some point it is going to.  I don't know
enough about how IPSEC/IKE is implemented to know if large numbers and
crypto routines are needed or not but I suspect that they are.

Since the focus of NSE is manipulating networking protocols, I suspect
most script writers find themselves searching for the same things.
Here are a list of questions I suspect many had or still have:

* How does one manipulate binary strings in Lua?  Can "\x00" be done?
How about for octal and decimal?

* How does one easily go from network byte to host byte order?  Does it
even matter?  If I have the string "\x00\x80" how do I turn that into
the number -32768?

* Is there the equivalent of perl's pack() and unpack() routines?

* Is a C-like byte array preferred to a perl-like packed scalar?

It would really be neat to see a SoC project put together "A network
and protocol hacker's guide to NSE/Lua".  This could be a series of Lua
FAQs like the one above and sample scripts that demonstrate techniques
and how do do things in Lua.

The Lua documentation is out there for this sort of thing but it isn't
targeted at any one task.  A documentation roundup with a focus on bits
and bytes on the network would be really valuable.

Brandon

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 16:31:56 -0500