Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: #nmap IRC channel

From: doug () hcsw org
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 12:33:47 -0700

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 01:17:53AM -0700 or thereabouts, Fyodor wrote:
Thanks Doug, that is good to know.  Maybe we should have an "official"
#nmap channel that we direct people to from the Nmap web site.  Does
anyone have an opinion on which network it should be on?  EFnet?
Freenode?  Other?  Is EFnet the only network which currently has an
active channel?

In my opinion, EFnet is much more 31337 than Freenode:
  * You don't need to register a nick
  * There are IPv6 and SSL servers
  * hybrid/ratbox ircds are less buggy than dancer (stats p works etc)
  * Freenode netsplits several times a day
  * EFnet is teh 0r1g1n0l n3twerkzz

Freenode has an empty #nmap channel but it is registered by somebody
so we can't kick spammers, change the topic, etc. I along with a few
other regulars are on EFnet 24/7. I have occassionaly been answering
questions there for the past couple months. My nick is Fractal.

Doug