Nmap Development mailing list archives

nmap-os-db reaches 1500 signatures

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:13:11 -0600

Hi all,

I just finished another, smaller round of OS fingerprint integration.
Submissions and corrections from June to mid-July are now included.
Although this was a smaller batch, the number of reference fingerprints
grew from 1438 to 1503, which is a milestone of some sort.

I want to add that the work of integrating OS fingerprints is now faster
and more pleasant because of Michael Pattrick's OSassist application,
which Michael wrote early on this summer. It automates many of the
tedious tasks that were formerly part of OS fingerprint work. These
lastest batches of submissions have been its first real workout, and it
has performed admirably.

Because Michael's program makes OS integration easier, it also makes for
higher-quality fingerprints. By showing all the close matches at once,
it allows me to decide which is the correct fingerprint to modify. I can
see when two fingerprints are very similar and merge them. Several
near-duplicate fingerprints were merged in this latest round of
integration.

David Fifield