Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap and IPv6

From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 16:49:20 -0500

What is the road map like for improving IPv6 support in nmap (such as
adding OS detection)?

Since various telco sources decry the end of IPv4 by 2010 or 2011, I
thought it might be a good idea to start working out how to get the
same level of data from IPv6 as we do from IPv4 now.

I just got around to enabling IPv6 on a few systems at work to see how
our firewalls and other equipment handle it and it is pretty ugly.
IPv6 is not enabled on any of our routers, but I was able to bring up
IPv6 and talk to another system on the same network without bothering
our host IDS / firewall.  Our firewalls support it, but have no
specific rules in place for it.  I have no idea if our proxy server
will handle IPv6 web sites properly for content filtering.

Nmap is a handy tool to sling packets and find things that should not
be open.  The more it supports IPv6 before it's completely mainstream,
the better.

-Jason