Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Proposed SSL version detection probe changes

From: Kristof Boeynaems <kristof.boeynaems () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 22:55:50 +0100

Kristof Boeynaems wrote:
Brandon Enright wrote:

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 23:53:04 -0800 or thereabouts Fyodor
<fyodor () insecure org> wrote:
...snip...
I agree that we should make sure Nsock can connect to any reasonable
SSL servers.  Have you found any SSL servers on the Internet for which
browsers can connect, but ncat and/or version detection (they use the
same SSL connection creation calls) can't?
Some versions of Nessus, yes.  Not to long ago I did a giant SSL survey
of the Internet (many millions of hosts) and found that a small
percentage (~3%) could not be connected to with the default SSL23
probe.  I had to manually specify one of the SSL versions using
openssl s_client.
I did not do an internet survey myself, but in theory Nmap will have problems with any SSL server that is not backward compatible with SSLv2 (i.e. SSLv3-only or TLSv3-only). A type of SSL server that I would expect to become more prevalent as SSLv2 support is being phased out.

It shouldn't be too difficult to come up with an Nmap-based script that scans a wide range of random SSL servers, and determines what version they are supporting; but it seems that Brandon has already done this before as part of his SSL survey. I would be very interested to see a list of that 3%. Is this something you can share, Brandon?
I put together some custom nmap-service-probes file for the purpose of detecting such sslv3-only or tlsv1-only services (which are currently not supported by Nsock), and used it to perform a quick survey on about 1000 HTTPS web servers. I was not able to find a single sslv3-only or tlsv1-only host. Seems that SSL-enabled webservers are (almost) always SSLv2-compatible, which is maybe not so surprising. Nevertheless, that makes me even more curious to that 3% Brandon talked about. Which ports where these services running on?

Thanks,

Kristof