Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: bug with OS X

From: Brandon Enright <bmenrigh () ucsd edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 03:35:52 +0000

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 22:25:31 -0500
Lee Baird <lee () leebaird com> wrote:

Brandon

I appreciate your quick response!

No problem.  For some reason I'm still at work :-(

I'm running as admin on my OS X
box, but not root.  Do I have to be running as root on my Mac?

Well I don't know jack about OS X but I'm pretty sure "admin" is still
a non-root user.  You probably want to do "sudo nmap ...." and then
enter your user's password to get Nmap to run as root.

For the --script= part, I was just reading the new release notes and
was trying that feature for the first time.
I was particularly interested in the new scripts and was just trying
it out.
Nmap 4.85BETA4 [2009-3-15]

o Added two new SMB/MSRPC NSE scripts by Ron Bowes:
   smb-brute.nse: Bruteforce to discover SMB accounts. Has advanced
     features, such as lockout detection, username validation,
username enumeration, and optimized case detection.
   smb-pwdump.nse: Uses executables from the Pwdump6 project to dump
     password hashes from a remote machine (and optionally crack them
     with Rainbow Crack). Pwdump6 files have to be downloaded
     separately

Lee

Yeah, these scripts are great.  You want to do
'--script=smb-brute.nse,smb-pwdump.nes' to have them run.  You'll need
to scan ports 139 and 445 and have at least one open to get the scripts
to run.

Note that smb-pwdump.nse depends of DLLs that are part of Pwdump6 and
that you'll have to drop them into your directory.  The script will
warn you with something like:

|  smb-pwdump:
|  Couldn't run smb-pwdump.nse, missing required file(s):
|  - nselib/data/lsremora.dll
|  - nselib/data/servpw.exe
|  These are included in pwdump6 version 1.7.2:
|_ <http://foofus.net/fizzgig/pwdump/downloads.htm>

Brandon