Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap 4.85BETA5: Now with Conficker detection!

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 01:24:50 -0700

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 06:43:40PM +0200, LevelZero wrote:
On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 13:03:19 -0700, Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org> wrote:

I just noticed that the download links on the download page seem to give
403 errors across the board.
A little digging showed that they are linking to
http://download.insecure.org/nmap-dist/filename

Looking through the old download page, which suddenly appeared from my
cache, I saw the old (4.76 and 4.85beta4) downloads linked from
http://nmap.org/dist/filename.

Yeah, sadly we got shut down by the web host Dreamhost :(.  We have
plan which claims "unlimited bandwidth", but they said we were using
too much anyway.  Basically, their marketing department seduces you
with claims of "unlimited" bandwidth (and storage), but as soon as you
actually make much use of that, you quickly get the axe.

Fortuately, I knew better than to rely solely on Dreamhost.  So I
still had http://nmap.org/dist/, which is a colocated machine with its
own 100Mbps connection.  And David quickly shifted the links to that.

With so many people probably wanting to download because of Conficker, I'd
thought I'd report this ASAP.

Thanks.  I actually woke up to hundreds of these reports, but it is
better to get too many than too few!  I always appreciate when people
tell me that something is broken.

Cheers,
-F