Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: --defeat-rst-ratelimit behavior when scanning OS X

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 23:26:18 -0600

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 12:16:16AM -0500, J Marlow wrote:
David asked me to look into the behavior of the --defeat-rst-ratelimit
option when scanning OS X systems.
I did a SYN scan against with the --defeat-rst-ratelimit option and get:

Increasing send delay for 10.0.0.2 from 0 to 5 due to 218 out of 725
dropped probes since last increase.

Or something to that effect.  It seems to be slightly sporadic (not
all runs show an increase, but some do).
So --defeat-rst-ratelimit appears to be broken...sometimes.  Has
anyone else encountered this before?

I started digging into this. I don't think --defeat-rst-ratelimit has
*ever* worked. It was introduced in r3355:

r3355 | fyodor | 2006-05-15 16:37:31 -0600 (Mon, 15 May 2006) | 1 line

Added Martin Macok ratelimit patch with minor changes

In http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2006/q2/0191.html, it says "The only
thing I changed (besides documenting --defeat-rst-ratelimit) is to
remove the PORT_CLOSEDFILTERED stat which used instead of closed and
filtered when --defeat-rst-ratelimit was specified." I suppose from this
that an earlier --defeat-rst-ratelimit patch used closed|filtered for
received RSTs and no-responses. That was changed before the patch was
integrated, but the logic still referred to PORT_CLOSEDFILTERED:

  /* If we are in --defeat-rst-ratelimit mode, we do not care whether we got RST back or not
   * because RST and "no response" both mean PORT_CLOSEDFILTERED. Do not slow down */
     !(o.defeat_rst_ratelimit && newstate == PORT_CLOSEDFILTERED && probe->tryno > 0)) { /* rcvdtime is interesting */

Changing it to PORT_CLOSED makes it work. I think we also need to add
!noresp_open_scan to keep it from taking effect for UDP in a -sSU scan.

David Fifield