Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: favicon survey script

From: Vlatko Kosturjak <kost () linux hr>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 08:48:06 +0200

doug () hcsw org wrote:
Data looks great. How about collecting -sV service scan output
for each http server along with the scan? That would help a lot
in finding the correspodent server/cms/whatever version.

While -sV can help in certain cases, I decided not to perform it because:
- it will not detect CMSes with -sV, mostly web server versions
- survey/scan is much faster without -sV (we're only interested into top
n favicons, -sV would do on every site)
- wanted to shorten the probing of each address (politeness), even with
this I got few CERT incidents against my scan machine to solve because
of my scanning (had to explain them I'm not evil!)

Kost