Nmap Development mailing list archives

favicon viewer

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 17:42:17 -0600

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 09:57:06PM -0600, David Fifield wrote:
There was a project to build a NSE script that would identify web server
software by hashing favicon.ico and looking it up in a database. In fact
the script exists, but the database is small and the relevance of its
entries is not known.

I think the script is a great idea, so I wrote a script to try to
duplicate Vlatko's results. The script simply downloads /favicon.ico,
hashes it, then stores the icon itself and a list of hosts using it in
files named after the hash.

If you're like me, you are curious about what's actually in those
favicon files but had trouble finding an image viewer to open them, and
even then, they're too small. Here's an image viewer in PyGTK that can
open ICO files as well as others and scales them all up to 256 × 256
pixels.

David Fifield