Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSE Script to exploit the Windows Vista and 7 SMB 2.0 remote BSOD bug?

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 09:20:31 -0600

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 09:32:58AM -0500, Ron wrote:
You are correct, it's returning 'nil'.

The NSEDoc doesn't say anything about returning nil, though, it only
says the call returns 'true' or 'false'.[1] All my scripts explicitly
check for a 'false' return value. If it's going to stay like this, I
suggest updating NSEDoc.

Would you edit your scripts to check for both nil and false (i.e.,
"not status")? My intention, which is not reflected in the NSEDoc, was
that the first result could be anything that evaluates to false in a
condition. It's sort of like the difference between
        if (cond)
and
        if (cond == 1)
in C; usually you prefer the former because 1 isn't the only "true"
value. We could just standardize on false always, but I like nil because
it's closer to what the standard Lua functions do.

I'll update the NSEDoc.

David Fifield