Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: David/stacktrace errors

From: Rob Nicholls <robert () robnicholls co uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:40:22 +0000

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:19:54 +0000, mike <dmciscobgp () hotmail com> wrote:
i was also wanting to know, with reguards to doing an -sV scan. i notice
this always launches the default scripts for version testing as well.

It should just launch 3 scripts, those in the "version" category rather
than the "default" scripts:

http://nmap.org/book/nse-usage.html

version
The scripts in this special category are an extension to the version
detection feature and cannot be selected explicitly. They are selected to
run only if version detection (-sV) was requested. Their output cannot be
distinguished from version detection output and they do not produce service
or host script results. Examples are skypev2-version, pptp-version, and
iax2-version.

If I perform a -sV scan with -d2, for example, I can see Nmap has ony
loaded those 3 scripts:

NSE: Loaded 3 scripts for scanning.
NSE: Loaded 'iax2-version.nse'.
NSE: Loaded 'pptp-version.nse'.
NSE: Loaded 'skypev2-version.nse'.

But I agree it might be useful to have a way to prevent the scripts from
executing, so it's limited to the "classic" version detection methods.

Rob