Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: DNS broken in 5.21

From: Simon John <nmap-dev () the-jedi co uk>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 00:28:57 +0100

On 01/29/2010 10:33 PM, Fyodor wrote:

[snip]
That is a good idea on an individual basis to get Nmap, but it sort of
defautes the purpose our our distributing RPMs in the first place.  If
our RPMs don't work for all/most people on that platform, we should
see what we can do to fix it.  Fedora 12 is the latest release of one
of the most popular Linux distributions, so surely many people here
are running it.

Yes I agree, I've always gone to insecure.org for nmap releases as the
Fedora/CentOS ones are usually quite far behind, plus its nice to
download the RPM's once, rather than via YUM for every machine.

I spoke to the F12 packager and he is going to make official 5.21 RPM's
on Monday, he did say that all F-nn RPM's are compiled on F-nn machines,
so I fear the fix is to move your build environment to Fedora.

There are already working RPM's here, backported from F13 I believe:

Also, nscd is disabled by default in Fedora, so you couldn't even say
that was a caveat.

Simon.