Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: CouchDB and MongoDB

From: Martin Holst Swende <martin () swende se>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 09:35:36 +0100

Patrick Donnelly wrote:
Hi Martin,

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 4:07 PM, Martin Holst Swende <martin () swende se> wrote:

I have now implemented the following :
- json.lua is heavily reworked (and now according to specs :)) - except
for Unicode collapsing into UTF-8, which is not done. If you have any
good pointers on how to do that it is welcome. There is an issue with js
null vs lua nil (which are different - lua nil is more like javascript
undefined), which forced me to introduce json.NULL - more info about
that is found in the code.

Is there a reason you chose not to use known Lua libraries that handle
JSON (e.g. [1])? I have not looked at your code any so I don't know
the differences. It would suck to replicate effort when polished
libraries exist.

[1] http://luaforge.net/projects/luajson/

Yes and no. I took a quick look at what libraries existed, but license
issues (of which I am no expert) and/or overly complicated behaviour put
me off. For example, the luaforge-library is 10+files (not counting
testcases) and, in addition, requires Lpeg, a complete library for
parsing grammar. Had Json been a lot more complex than it actually is,
that perhaps had seemed the best solution. That being said, other
implementations may be better than mine, and if you have any suggestions
once you have looked at the code they are most welcome.

/Martin