Nmap Development mailing list archives

Lua and LPeg

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 12:23:02 -0700

On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 01:53:14PM -0500, Patrick Donnelly wrote:
On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 3:35 AM, Martin Holst Swende <martin () swende se> wrote:
Yes and no. I took a quick look at what libraries existed, but license
issues (of which I am no expert) and/or overly complicated behaviour put
me off. For example, the luaforge-library is 10+files (not counting
testcases) and, in addition, requires Lpeg, a complete library for
parsing grammar. Had Json been a lot more complex than it actually is,
that perhaps had seemed the best solution. That being said, other
implementations may be better than mine, and if you have any suggestions
once you have looked at the code they are most welcome.

Well, the luaforge library is MIT licensed (same as Lua) so no problem
there. The library itself is modularized into files which is good and
bad, mostly good when it comes to LPeg. My feeling on LPeg is that
Nmap will eventually have it because Lua will eventually have it.
Plus, LPeg is appropriate for most parsing problems (JSON fits nicely)
that are network related. What we are waiting for is a library/script
that heavily relies on it that justifies the addition of LPeg. The
JSON library may have been that library :)

LPeg is planned to be in a future release of Lua, right? Then I think we
should wait for that so that someone else is maintaining it. I admit
that it is cool technically and I am interested in learning more about
it.

David Fifield