Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [BULK] Re: Replacing passwords.lst

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:33:12 -0500

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:22:23 -0500 "Norris Carden"
<ncarden () ascendfcu org> wrote:
Why not weight each password as a percentage of each list? If
"password" is (just pulling numbers out of a hat) 7% of the RockYou
list and 5% of another list, then an average of 6% across the two
lists should be handling things pretty evenly. Of course dump the
obviously biased "rockyou" as a password, but not necessarily from
the count total for figuring the percentage.
I think the best algorithm to weight passwords would automatically exclude passwords like 'rockyou' and 'phpbb' as
statistical anomalies (or, at least, weight them low enough that they are effectively excluded). That way, we'll catch
other outliers at the same time that might be less obvious.

--
Ron Bowes
http://www.skullsecurity.org