Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Replacing passwords.lst

From: Richard Miles <richard.k.miles () googlemail com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 20:09:31 -0600

Congrats Ron.

It's very nice. Why not add it to ncrack repository as default
password list? Maybe compile a nice wordlist of users to ncrack... it
would be awesome.

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Ron <ron () skullsecurity net> wrote:
Hey,

I spent a lot of time this week working on the passwords leaked from Rockyou.com and seeing what kind of information
I could get from it. It's a beautiful cross section because there were no password policies or anything like that and
over 32.6 million were leaked -- perfect for stats! My extended writeup (including a graph!) is here:
http://www.skullsecurity.org/blog/?p=516

But here's what it really comes down to. Right now, we have a password dictionary of 200 passwords included with
Nmap. According to my stats, trying those passwords would have cracked 4.30% of the passwords used by Rockyou.com
users. If I take the top 200 passwords leaked from Rockyou.com, they would have cracked 13.71% of all accounts --
three times as many. If we take the top 500 passwords, we could have cracked 19.82%. If we drop down to the top 20
passwords, we could crack 5.67% of accounts -- slightly more than our current list, with only 10% of the list. Here's
the full table I generated:

Count   Coverage
1       2.03%
2       2.58%
5       3.88%
10      4.66% <-- what we're at now (approx)
20      5.67%
50      7.83%
100     10.34%
200     13.71%  <-- what we could be at without resizing
500     19.82%
1000    25.68%
2000    32.60%
5000    42.62%
10000   50.68%
20000   59.33%
50000   72.40%

I put links to each cutoff point in my blog, so feel free to have a look.

I think the passwords leaked by Rockyou.com are indicative of what typical passwords look like, and we should
therefore replace Nmap's password.lst file with a version generated from Rockyou.com.

Thoughts?

--
Ron Bowes
http://www.skullsecurity.org