Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap SoC Ideas?

From: liu xiaohui <xhliu.zju () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 09:58:27 +0800

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 2:19 AM, Henri Salo <henri () nerv fi> wrote:

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 11:55:56 -0600
David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 08:13:32PM +0800, liu xiaohui wrote:
But I am a newbie to the nmap, so I want to chose this project
because I can go through the code of nmap. So would you guys tell
me where should I begin if I wanna choose this project as my GSoC
Application?

Hello, thanks for your interest. The question "where should I begin in
the Nmap source code" is becoming a FAQ. Henri Salo posted some good
mailing list links a few months ago at
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2009/q3/977. They are:

"Design of Nmap"
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2007/q2/173

"how to start reading the nmap source code ?"
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2008/q1/42

"getting strated with nmap development"
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2009/q1/566

My advice is to start with the function nmap_main in nmap.cc, and
trace the execution until you find something you want to learn more
about. Then when you have specific questions you can ask this list.

David Fifield

You should also study the scripting engine
<http://nmap.org/book/nse.html>. In fact I have noticed that NSE has
been VERY interesting subject for newbies, because you can make lots of
nice tricks with it in short time and Lua is always good language to
learn.

Nmap Network Scanning -book is obviuosly "must have" book in
everybodys library :)

I have started reading this book now, as you said, it is really a great
book.
And I will  to learn Lua then I could play with the NSE.
Thank you

---
Henri Salo