Nmap Development mailing list archives

GSoC idea?

From: Rahul Golwalkar <rahulgolwalkar () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 18:12:42 +0530

Hello everyone,
      I was thinking that adding a Proxy support for nmap would enhance its
use greatly, as a arge portion of users are behind proxies these days. This
would also support anonymous port scanning. Can you suggest whether this
will be a good GSoC proposal?
I have also demonstrated  how a simple TCP scan would work via a proxy.

       After establishing a connection with a proxy server(HTTP-to be
specific), if we send the message
"CONNECT (destination add.):(dest. port)" to the proxy,
we get the following reply
"HTTP/1.0 200 Connection established"
from the proxy server in case of an open port.
In the case of a closed port we don't get any reply.
Thus we have scanned for a single port to be open or not. We can loop it
through for all the port.
This will give us the TCP connect scan(of NMAP) via proxy. I suppose that
the other scans via proxy shall be similar.

     As a demonstration I have used netcat(nc) to check the open ports of
google.com via  an HTTP proxy at 10.8.20.186:807 in the following video. In
the video, I check out for port number 80,443 and 441
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTIwf_eWJsY

Opinions please.

Thank You
Rahul