Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] DB2 library and scripts

From: Patrik Karlsson <patrik () cqure net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 13:53:16 +0200

On 14 maj 2010, at 09.23, Patrick Donnelly wrote:

Hi Fyodor,

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org> wrote:
On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 05:33:30PM +0200, Patrik Karlsson wrote:

I think this is a great idea. Perhaps this could be considered,
when/if implementing a more generic brute force framework as proposed
by Martin Swende [1] ?

I agree that a brute force library/framework or is the way to go,
especially as the scripts get more complex due to parallelisms and
algorithm optimizations.

That being said, it sometimes is easiest to start with one script and
experiment/benchmark to figure out what works best.  Then that can be
ported to a new generalized library.  In other cases (or for other
people), starting with the generalized library is easier.

It seems to me this is something best handled in the NSock Lua
binding. That is, if a server is "misbehaving" by slowing down replies
or dropping connections then we should lower the parallelism against
the server? This is probably too low level though.

That said, I'm curious why the parallel implementation performed so
poorly. Patrik, do you know how the server was reacting? Was it
dropping connections? Slowing down replies? How does your db2.lua
library handle dropped connection attempts? Does it retry?
First off, like I mentioned before, this is a server running in VirtualBox on my laptop.
Secondly, this is a default installed DB2 server without any tweaking made on the OS or the DB.
So it probably doesn't server well as a testing reference.

While running the script against the server the CPU goes up to 70% and stays there for the complete duration of the
scan.
Even though it's not 100% I'm guessing this is what's limiting it from going faster.

I've added some missing checks for socket errors in the library, but no retry attempts are made.
I would appreciate it a lot if someone with a "real" db2 server could test it out and report some performance
statistics.

--
- Patrick Donnelly

//Patrik