Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Improved version of ms-sql-info

From: Chris Woodbury <chris3e3 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:29:54 -0600

Also, my latest version of ms-sql-info.nse.

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Chris Woodbury <chris3e3 () gmail com> wrote:
On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 4:04 AM, Patrik Karlsson <patrik () cqure net> wrote:

Although I'm no Lua expert here are some quick comments on the code:
* You should probably avoid the leading underscore convention for instance variables and function names to avoid
confusion with metamethods. [1]

Good tip, and thanks for the reference. I've replaced the leading
double-underscores with single underscores. Do you think that's still
likely to cause problems? My background is in object-oriented
programming, so I'm wondering whether I'm trying to impose too much on
Lua. :)

  On that same note, all of my ToString and your new ToBytes method could be changed to __tostring (as I've done in
my later libraries).
  This would make it possible to do:

local p = PreLoginPacket:new()
socket:send( tostring(p) )

I did this and then realized that the ToString methods here return two
values (PacketType, PacketData). I didn't think it was worth it to
make all the necessary changes to make that work, so I reverted back
to the original. I'll keep that in mind for the future, though.

* I don't know if this is or is going to be a problem but os.time() returns a value in seconds. So if two
PreLoginPackets are created within the same second, the thread id will be the same.
  In the Connect method I'm adding the local port of the socket into the randomseed together with os.time. Looking
at that particular code now, it could probably be cleaned up a little :)

According to the TDS spec, ThreadID is just for debugging (i.e.
tracing) purposes. I think the server pretty much ignores it - in
fact, the server doesn't even return the value (or any value) in the
response. So, I think it's safe to leave things as they are. That
said, I realized that my random seeding was unnecessary anyway, since
it's already being done in TDSStream.Connect().

Attached is an updated patch with the changes you've suggested. The
only other new thing is that I've factored out most of the logic from
the Helper.Discover() into a new SSRP class, which clarifies the
process a bit and does some extra error-checking.

Thanks
-chris