Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: LUA "Invalid Escape Sequence" error with NMAP 6.25

From: Aaron Giuoco <afxdub () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 15:28:22 -0600

On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Aaron Giuoco <afxdub () gmail com> wrote:

On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Henri Doreau <henri.doreau () gmail com>wrote:

2012/12/15 Aaron Giuoco <afxdub () gmail com>:
Henri,

Thanks for taking a look.  I made the changes you suggested (require
"stdnse", declare 'ret', declare *action functions) and I still get the
same
result.  I don't think the file is corrupted because it works with 6.01.
The error makes me think that I'm not properly escaping a character
somewhere.

I am running this on Win7 if that makes a difference.  I probably need
try it in Linux to make sure I'm getting the same error and it's not
some
weird OS specific problem.

AG

I tried on Linux (only). Another thing, if I may, I would suggest you
to be more strict in checking and reporting error cases in your
script. I'm afraid I can't see what could trigger the problem you
describe though... Maybe someone else can.

--
Henri

I appreciate the feedback.  This the first thing I've ever done in Lua, so
I know there is a lot I need to learn and improve upon.

But it appears that the Lua interpreter is throwing the error before it
ever gets to the point of running any of my code.  At least that is the
error I'm getting in Win7.  What error did you get when you ran it in Linux?

AG

Well, after some testing, it looks like the updated script (attached) works
in Unbuntu 12.10.  I just downloaded and compiled the source. I copied the
script over to my Win7 box and ran it with NMAP 6.25 and it failed with
same error message as before.  So, what I know so far is:

Works -- Win 7, NMAP 6.01
Works -- Ubuntu 12.10, NMAP 6.25
Fails -- Win7, NMAP 6.25

AG