Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Patch to make Zenmap respect NMAP_PRIVILEGED environment variable

From: Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 13:58:44 -0800

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 6:51 AM, Tyler J. Wagner <tyler () tolaris com> wrote:

Everyone,

I have configured nmap for unprivileged users:

Nice.  I was going to suggest that maybe you could document to process on
SecWiki.org, but now I see that you documented it in a handy blog post:

http://www.tolaris.com/2013/01/24/running-nmap-as-an-unprivileged-user/

You might want to add a prominent warning of the security risks of doing
this.  If you let any user run Nmap with these extra capabilities, they
could use NSE scripts (for example) to sniff the network, change firewall
roules and interface configuration, and anything else the capabilities
allow.  A clever person could probably escalate to full root privileges
without too much trouble.  Maybe you could mention this right before the
suggestion of restricting Nmap to a certain group so that users may better
understand the consequences of ignoring that advice.

You could also edit the section about the Zenmap warning to note that your
patch was applied and so future versions of Nmap (and current svn) won't
have that problem.

Cheers,
Fyodor