Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap -PU can't find any host available

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 08:48:17 -0500

On 03/28/2014 09:45 PM, Anorpi Jia wrote:
Hi,
I run [nmap -sn -n -PU xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/24]for host discovery,The
description of -PU in official Documents:

[Upon hitting a closed port on the target machine, the UDP probe should
elicit an ICMP port unreachable packet in return. This signifies to Nmap
that the machine is up and available.]

Meaning that when the target host returns ICMP unreachable [Type3
Code3].Nmap will report this host is available.
I use wireshark to capture.And wireshark displays many hosts replied ICMP
port unreachable,but the final result is shown by nmap:"Nmap done: 256 IP
addresses (0 hosts up)",Meaning is no host is available. Selinux and
iptables are disable.

My computer:
Centos 6.5
Nmap 6.40
The Screenshot in attachments
Hello,

I cannot reproduce this result. Please provide the output of this command:

nmap -sn -n -PU -ddd X.X.X.X

where X.X.X.X is one of the hosts you expect to find up. This will give diagnostics of what Nmap is sending and seeing, in case there is a bug.

Dan