oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE id request: php-xajax

From: Nico Golde <oss-security+ml () ngolde de>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 19:02:21 +0100

Hi,
* Steffen Joeris <steffen.joeris () skolelinux de> [2008-12-17 18:59]:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 06:19:20 pm Nico Golde wrote:
* Steven M. Christey <coley () linus mitre org> [2008-12-17 17:53]:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008, Steffen Joeris wrote:
The patch for CVE-2007-2739 seems incomplete as it doesn't escape "&".
I recommend removing the replace call and using htmlspecialchars()
instead.

This counts for a new CVE, so use CVE-2008-5623

Will there be more details available, or should I just write the
description up based on the oss-security post?  Which versions are
affected?

Please enlighten me why it is incomplete. As far as I know
you can't perform an XSS with & only (I'm not a webappsec
expert though). But the reason it behaves different from
htmlspecialchars should not make this patch incomplete.
Afaik you can use & to specify values like ../foo.php&value=bar
Thus the patch looked incomplete to me and should be extended to escape & as
well.

I see no problem with specifying GET variables here unless
this is some kind of CSRF which I don't see in this case.

Cheers
Nico
--
Nico Golde - http://www.ngolde.de - nion () jabber ccc de - GPG: 0x73647CFF