oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Closed list

From: Marcus Meissner <meissner () suse de>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 15:56:15 +0200

On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 08:11:11PM -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:
Dan Rosenberg wrote:

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 6:58 PM, Benji wrote:
This is pathetic. You've all just made your personal and 'work' email
addresses targets by having a ridiculous public 'signup' system, and
the fact you all feel the need to hide behind some sort of veil for
security issues.

Do you really think anyone is gaining new information by discovering
that, say, a member of the security team for a major distro will be on
this mailing list?  Such information seems pretty obvious to me.

Benji's trolling does raise a couple real issues.  The private keys and
passphrases of those responding here have now become highly lucrative
targets for attackers.  Hence, everyone on this new list needs to use
good practices to keep their keys, hard drives, and computers safe.
There should probably be some common guidelines for key safety for all
participants.

So would be my work mailbox in previous times.

I guess you are overestimating the value of the information that could
be possibly gained.

Ciao, Marcus