oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: backdoor in upstream xz/liblzma leading to ssh server compromise

From: Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:52:11 +0400

Concerning, yes, but not quite the "Jia Tan" /modus operandi/---"Jia"
seems to have been contributing patches for some time (with sockpuppets
pushing their acceptance as needed) before making a move to be appointed
co-maintainer of xz.  This looks to me like the common cybercrooks have
seen the technique, decided that it sounds like a great idea, and are
now trying to use it, but do not have the patience that the "Jia Tan"
gang had.  In other words, now the "Nigerian Princes" want to help you
maintain your project, just give them write access to the source
repository up front.  :-P

Hi. Not all Africans try to scam people. There are people in Africa
who contribute
to Linux and Open Source software such as auditing compression
libraries for similar backdoors.

(I'm from an African country - Mauritius - and we have a vibrant
community of FOSS contributors ...)