PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Finding the common thread...

From: jim.halfpenny at gmail.com (Jim Halfpenny)
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 13:32:57 +0100

Hi,
You might want to do some statistical analysis on the values for the session
ID. One crude way is to plot session ID over time to see if the value always
ascends and look for other patterns. WebScarab will do this for you while
you run the crawler over a page that sets the session ID.

http://www.owasp.org/index.php/How_to_test_session_identifier_strength_with_WebScarab

5-10 characters does seem very short for a session ID and possible within
the realms of brute-force attacks if you can reduce the keyspace you need to
search. Can you give an example of what the session IDs looks like?

Regards,
Jim