PaulDotCom mailing list archives

security concerns with cable splitters

From: vlape at me.com (Vincent Lape)
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 13:04:52 -0400

Nathan,

in a former life i was a head-end engineer for COX out in VA. Basically the way the system works is the cable modem
will signal over the wire to the CMTS. The CMTS will give said modem an IP query the billing system for a MAC match on
an account, then a node match. (this prevents people from taking their cablemodems to a neighbors house a couple miles
away and using the service). the modem will then query for a configuration package. The config file is sent via tftp to
the modem based on the level of service subscribed. keep in mind all this is done unencrypted. If you were able to get
the RF side of a DOCSIS modem to become promiscuous you could see all traffic on the cablemodem network for that node.
It is in no way secure and really there is nothing you can do about it besides using secure protocols.

now there are a couple other things to look at. If the splitter on the cablemodem was a single leg GZH splitter only
one leg of that splitter could carry the signal for a cablemodem to obtain block sync. Another measure you could take
is to request a hi-pas filter on the video side of the splitter. the hi-pas filter is something we used to keep the
people who were going to compUSA and hacking cablemodems off the system. This filter (or trap) blocks the frequency
range over the wire that the cablemodems use to communicate.

Hope this helps.

Vinny