PaulDotCom mailing list archives

pentest with physical access

From: milan2314 at hotmail.com (Milan ______)
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 18:41:28 +0200

First of all: apologizes for my bad english; it is not my native language.

I need some help with a pen-test, while I have physical access to the network.
As a security-enthusiast, my boss asked my to do a pen-test and show the vulnerabilities within their network.
Despite that I m not a pentester, I go for this challenge.
I know a little bit about this subject, and Im used to work with Linux (Ubuntu).

I have physical access to the computers (normal user-account) with Windows XP SP2.
The public computers have some restrictions (disabled cmd.exe, msconfig, taskmanager) but I can open a command shell
with a portable version of cmd.exe on a pendrive. Also it was possible to run batch-files. And it is also possible to
run a portable registry editor.

I gathered information with netstat, tasklist, net view, etc.
I should say that doing a pentest is much easier with this information en with physical access to their
computers/network. But I need some help after I did some 'pentesting-things'

With nmap I scanned the ports at their public IP, but they are all closed/filtered.
The public computers within their network are behind a proxy, but the computers from the employees have a direct access
to the internet (no proxy).
I gathered some usernames, and used Hydra with a large wordlist to Brute Force them. But not succeeded.Also tried to
place a version of netcat on their systemdrive, but that was not possible because of restrictions.

What can I do more? I do not have experience with tools like metasploit, do I need to learn more about this subject?
Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance
Milan