PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Good time to Scan

From: rgula at tenablesecurity.com (Ron Gula)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 06:18:39 -0400

On 3/29/2010 2:02 PM, Juan Cortes wrote:
Guys,

Sort of new to this, but is there a sort of industry standard time when
to scan. Basically this scan will be workstations and I would like to
scan them during the day since some users turn them off and I would like
to get away from bugging people to leave them on.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

--
Juan C. Cortes
Chicago, Il

It sounds from your email that you want to scan daily which is great.
Many companies don't scan daily - they do it monthly or perhaps weekly.

I wrote a blog entry last year that talked about how sampling to slowly
can give you very misleading results. For example, scanning on the
Wednesday after MS Tuesday will always find holes.

http://blog.tenablesecurity.com/2009/05/common-mistakes-in-vulnerability-and-compliance-reporting.html

--
Ron Gula, CEO
Tenable Network Security