PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Email Policy Changes

From: James Costello <genesiswave () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 06:31:29 -0600

Craig,
If you are still in litigation, this is a bad time to implement the policy.
If the opposition does not find what they want and gets a court order for
another round of discovery, the implementation of this policy at this time
will appear as though the company is trying to hide something.  Once
litigation is initiated all auto-deletion has to stop anyway. If the lawyers
insist that the policy be placed in effect immediately, you could be
personally liable for implement.
The one way around it would be to set a rolling implementation time frame,
one that would allow you to caution your users well in advance that their
archives are going away.  Theoretically, if you do not know that someone is
moving that data elsewhere, you can't discover it.  However, you would need
to be monitoring your local systems (and file shares) for pst files.
I've gone through eDiscovery with two previous employers, both ended up
handing copies of everything over and hoped to overwhelm the opposition.  I
left both employers before litigation completed and was never called to
testify, so I missed out on portions of it.  One corporate council tried to
implement a similar policy and dropped the push after we sat down and talked
about what it would look like to the judge to implement something like this
in the middle of litigation.
Hope that gives you a little bit of ammo to go back to the attorneys and ask
for a delay in implementation.
James