Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Database of service output

From: "Randall, Mark (ISSCalifornia)" <MRandall () ISS NET>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 02:57:16 -0500

I don't know about a database, but Nessus does exactly what you describe.
It doesn't report services simply because of a connection to a port that is
part of the IANA standards.  It actually probes the running services.  They
call it "Smart service recognition" and have used it as one of the selling
points for Nessus for quite some time.

http://www.nessus.org/features.html

Again, I don't know about an actual database...but nessus is open source, so
you can certainly see how they're doing it.