Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] OT - How secure is an ISDN line?

From: "van der Kooij, Hugo" <Hugo.van.der.Kooij () CAIW NL>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 14:51:30 +0200

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Kris Carlier wrote:

I'm like: sure, looks cool, but otoh, sniffing a network is easy enough.
Sniffing a PSTN line requires more - I presume - than your average
networkcard cq modem ? Or am I totally de-synchronized on this ?

In the ISDN-case, more specifically, isn't it so that as opposed to PSTN,
if you get an error on an ISDN-line, the connection will drop ? So the
sniffer should be pretty silent.

Wiretaps are done quite easily. I've done ISDN and FramRelay taps with the
customers consent to track down (performance) problems.

But doing this without their consent shouldn't be very difficult. Having a
good network analyzer is a good start. Adding a shovel to dig up the line
and your nicely on your way to tap a wire.

Hugo.

--
hvdkooij () caiw nl     http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~hvdkooij/
Quoting this tagline is illegal! (http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html)