Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Network Mapping

From: H Carvey <keydet89 () YAHOO COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 16:56:00 -0000

With NT Hosts for instance you may want to map
all the hosts that have
accounts in a particular domain (I wrote a Perl
script to do this).

This is a functionality that has uses in vulnerability
assessments and pen tests.  If you don't mind me
asking, what does the Perl script look like?

I've found that, in Perl, one of the API calls that is
wrapped up in the Lanman module can be used to
enumerate the NetBIOS names of machines that the
target sees on the wire.  I've gotten this to work
successfully over the Internet.  I am sure that this is
nothing new...but has definite uses, in both white and
black hat situations...though I really haven't put any
thought into converting this into a viable step as part
of either.

Carv