Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Default Apache install w/ mods

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 15:12:06 -0500 (EST)

I am going up against what looks like a standard Apache install with the
following mods:

Apache/1.3.22 (unix) mod_perl/1.26 mod_fastcgi mod_ssl/2.8.5
OpenSSL/0.9.6b

I am not too experienced with Apache (and IIS is so easy). I have used
the test-cgi and printenv scripts to gain some info. My question is,
what are the vulnerabilities with the standard install (still has the
Apache "Welcome" message)? Do the mods have any exploitable weaknesses?
What are the default cgi-bin scripts (are there any)? I was able to use
this server as a proxy which got me past their firewall though. :)

Sorry for the basic question. Any help would be appreciated.

off a default 1.3.22 install
/usr/local/apache/cgi-bin/printenv
/usr/local/apache/cgi-bin/test-cgi

you really should get access to a unix box in order to install packages
like this. will greatly assist you in figuring out default settings.

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/