Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Common Vulverabilities and Exposures (CVE)

From: Ryan Permeh <ryan () EEYE COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 14:05:26 -0800

CVE is sort of a tabla rosa for vulnerabilities.  it doesn't cotnain much in
the way of details, more like a way to "get everyone on the same page" when
there are several sources of information.  It, for instance, allows you to
correlate a bug in SecurityFocus's database(indexed by BID and CVE) with any
other CVE compliant database.  You are right, however, that numerous
security products do implement CVE(Retina 3 does, and BID also), but it is
more of a label for various vulnerabilities, and it doesn't really have
anything to do with "updates", other than the fact that new updated
vulnerability sigs should contain CVE information.

Signed,
Ryan
eEye Digital Security Team
http://www.eEye.com