Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: SQL injection

From: James Riden <j.riden () massey ac nz>
Date: 10 Jun 2005 15:01:14 +1200

Tim <tim-pentest () sentinelchicken org> writes:

I am sure many IPS/IDSes are great for stopping a lot of attacks.  I
find it incredibly hard to believe that they stop all.  It is far better
to write good code in the first place.

Definitely true.

To those people out there who recommended this or that IPS/IDS:
Have you tested these against real attacks?

Yes, I've caught real attacks using snort with the bleeding rules. As
you say, perhaps only the obvious ones though ("xp_cmdshell").

--
James Riden / j.riden () massey ac nz / Systems Security Engineer
This post does not necessarily represent the views of my employer.