Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: LophtCrack and SAM Passwd

From: jm <jm () hcn com au>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 16:06:12 +1100

Hi Bill,

I'm not a lawyer, but first thing i'd be doing is taking an image of the disk with dd or similar, and working on the image rather than the original disk, otherwise its use as evidence might be compromised.

Cheers,

Jason

William Woodhams wrote:
I have a system that recently got hacked and the passwords on the
machine were compromised.  I want to get back into this system for
forensic reasons.  Unfortunately when I dumped the SAM file and tried
cracking it with LophtCrack nothing worked.  I ran it for a good 10
hours with no success on any account.  I was thinking maybe my word list
was not big enough.  So the questions are:

A.  Anyone have any good sources for large word lists?
B.  Any other application for cracking SAM's that I have not thought of?
I have ran it through a couple smaller security apps (names escape me at
the moment.)

Thanks,

Bill Woodhams