Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Tutorial on Wireless packet sniffing

From: "Michael Painter" <tvhawaii () shaka com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 12:37:48 -1000

From the "Set your watch back 24 years" department:

PUBLISHED BY
NEIGHBORHOOD NETWORK WATCH
DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY
WASHINGTON, DC 20528

How To Sniff Network Traffic
Neighborhood Network Watch Home Network Awareness Program

[snip]
Finding a Network
We recommend to start with your own home network and then eventually move
onto those of your neighbors. Eventually you could begin looking at networks that are
local to your community, such as cafés, local eateries, libraries, and parks.
There are many ways you can find a network to monitor if you do not have one of
your own or if your ready to move onto monitoring networks other than your own. On
the next four pages are four ways and places to find wireless networks that maybe
suitable.
[snip]
The Command
The command in figure 1 will be the full command that you will be typing into your
command line to run TCPDUMP to capture all network traffic from the network to a file.
TCPDUMP will collect network traffic that is coming from the following types of
applications: email clients, instant message clients, instant relay chat clients (IRC), file
transfer protocol clients (FTP), and web browsers.

http://www.dhsnnw.org/HNAPDocs/NNW-HNAP-How%20To%20Sniff%20Wireless%20Traffic.pdf

Interesting screenshot about halfway down of what's on the PowerBook.

I need to see a Chiropractor.
I've been shaking my head side-to-side so much lately my cervical vertebrae need some help.

--Michael