Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Comprehensive firewall test using Nmap?

From: Gabriele Brosulo <brosulo () edisoft net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 09:33:11 +0200

On Saturday 23 August 2008 21:32:07 Bill Weiss wrote:
Gabriele Brosulo(brosulo () edisoft net)@Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 11:08:02AM +0200:
On Thursday 21 August 2008 09:00:02 Alexander Sandstr?m Krantz A wrote:
Is it possible to automatically alter the source port when using Nmap
to test a firewall?

Apparently it's not possible. I tryed this:

nmap -sS -P0 -g 2000-2010 127.0.0.1

but all packet comes from port 2000. Does anybody know a workaround? The
only way I thinked about is to use a script to randomize source port on a
dest port base, but I think it will be not efficient..

Hmm...

$ man nmap | grep -- -g
             -g/--source-port <portnum>: Use given port number

That doesn't look like it takes a range.

Of course, I just tried it.. Anyway, I think it will be a useful options,
isn't it?

--
g4b0, linux user n. 369000
http://gabo.homelinux.com