Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: My Frustrations

From: "Adriel T. Desautels" <ad_lists () netragard com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 07:37:24 -0500

Hi Joe,
While I appreciate your response I only partially agree with you; and frankly I wasn't asking you for a lesson in business. What I feel that you are missing in your post is the problem of inaccuracy and even lies. That problem confuses the customer and often times ends up landing the customer in a very poor security state, then they wonder why they get hacked.

If you have two providers, one of which is very high quality and one is a copy-cat fraud, how does the customer tell the difference between the two? The problem isn't really a problem until the copy-cat starts presenting the same face and message as the quality provider. At that point it is not a matter of the good provider conveying the message better (because the message gets copied) its a matter of the customers learning how to tell fact from fiction, but they can't do that without being educated first.

But what happens when ten more copy-cat providers surface and they follow the same exact messaging as the quality provider? What happens when those providers then offer services at a cost that is 30-80% less than the cost of services being delivered by the quality provider? The answer isn't that the quality provider gets too hurt because "we" don't, the answer is that customers get hurt by a false sense of security. After all the cost of a single compromise can cost people their jobs and even put businesses under.

Joe, just to be clear here, my motivation isn't to create a clear marketing message or to establish my companies name, thats been done very successfully. My goal is to educate the customers so that they can avoid being scammed. I can't tell you how many times we've seen third party deliverables that were the massaged product of automated tools and scanners. Hell, we've even seen deliverables with great big yellow smile faces at the bottom!!!

So in closing, no the incompetent security professional does not convey their message better but instead they convey the exact same message and undercut the real provider thus hurting their customers. But what do they care, they are in it for the money not for the customer's sake right?

Anyway, like I said before, we're working on a white paper that should help customers to draw the line. When its finished I'll make sure to post it to the list for all to read and comment on.